This month we feature a recipe from Mendina Mukhayer, winner of a Market Enterprise Launch Pad Award from RBKC.
Mandola is an exciting new food stall launching on Friday 5 July on Portobello Market (Tavistock Square) from 3pm to 6pm. The Mandola product range includes both hot dishes and a selection of dips and salads that can be taken home or for the public to enjoy.
From Saturday 6 July, Mandola can be found at Acklam Village Market, opposite Portobello Green. Every Friday, Mandola will be selling homemade vegetarian dips and salads, as well as Sudanese spiced coffee served in traditional ceramic coffee sets. Hot meals will be served on Saturdays. Customers can choose their meat, which is served with the Sudanese staple of Foul Medames – a broad bean dip – an aubergine salad and bread. Alongside the mains, Karkaday will be served, made from hibiscus flower, also known as red sorrel. Karkaday is a popular Sudanese juice drink.
For more information, location updates and news, please visit www.mandola.biz.
You can also follow Mandola on Twitter @MandolaFoods
and Facebook, MandolaFoods.
|What you will need|
For the marinade:
1. Mix the marinade ingredients together thoroughly and pour over meat and mix in.
2. Leave to rest for an hour. Drizzle oil into a large frying pan and then place the marinated meat in the pan.
3. Cover and fry over a small flame. Check occasionally to see if the juice from the meat has disappeared and the meat has shrunk on the bone.
4. Turn the meat to ensure that it is well cooked. To test this, pierce the flesh with a fork or skewer and check if the juice that comes out is clear. When the meat is ready, lay on a plate.
5. Place the same pan on a high heat, add a small bowl of water, stir through the liquid thoroughly, and reduce. When thickened, this will act as gravy.
6. Serve with plain rice or French bread. A perfect accompaniment for this is Mandola’s Mish – a spicy yoghurt dip.