Murchison & Wells Houses Demolition
The demolition of Murchison and Wells Houses is scheduled to begin in April or May. We expect the work to be completed in June.
We gave details of the demolition process in the Demolition Special edition of Here & Now in May 2018. You can see this again in the archive at www.yourhereandnow.co.uk, or ask in the Kensington office for a paper copy.
- Here’s a reminder of the key points: The buildings will be demolished by high-reach excavators. They’ll begin at the end of Murchison House and work along towards Wells House.
- Our Construction Traffic Management Plan has been agreed with the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
- Portobello Road and Wornington Road, and the link between them, will stay open throughout the demolition. So will their pavements.
- Working hours on site will be from 8am to 6pm on weekdays, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. Noisy works will be restricted to weekdays, 9am to 5.30pm.
- Traffic marshals will be on duty during site hours.
- We’ll give fortnightly updates and forecasts of upcoming site traffic on notice boards throughout the estate.
Please note that, contrary to the information in the Demolition Special, we now know that some street parking will be suspended on the link road between Portobello Road and Wornington Road during demolition. RBKC permit holders can still park in other designated RBKC street parking.