The Resident Zone

Get in touch >

Own up or face £50 fine

Changes in your circumstances can affect your benefits. If you don’t report them and get overpaid as a result, you may have to pay a £50 civil penalty from 1 October 2012.

As well as the penalty, you’ll have to pay back the amount you were overpaid to the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you’re paid too much housing benefit, the money will be taken out of your future housing benefit payments – leaving you with a shortfall. You will need to pay Catalyst the difference.

Changes in your circumstances may include the below:

  • Getting married or moving in with a partner
  • Moving or living abroad
  • Getting a new job or pay rise
  • If you’ve recovered from an illness

If you think you’re getting more benefits than you are entitled to, or if your circumstances change, please tell Job Centre Plus, the Pension Service or the council.

For more details please visit You can also visit the benefit changes section of our website at to find out about the benefit changes coming into effect from 1 April 2013.