This simple, healthy and delicious fish pie costs just 64p per serving and is suitable for freezing.
|What you will need|
|How to make|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until soft, then drain and mash with 50ml of the milk, adding black pepper to taste.
3. Place the fish in a saucepan and pour over the remaining milk. Add the bay leaf, black pepper and mixed herbs. Simmer for 10 minutes until the fish is soft and transparent.
4. Using a slotted spoon remove the fish and put it into an oven proof dish. Pour the milk into a jug.
5. In the empty saucepan add the margarine and melt over a low heat. Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the milk from the fish, stirring continuously until the sauce starts to bubble and thicken.
6. Pour the sauce over the fish then spread the mashed potato on top, sprinkling the cheese over the top.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the potato is golden brown.
8. Serve with peas, broccoli and steamed vegetables.
Why not try?
Adding your vegetables such as peas, sweetcorn, broccoli or cauliflower into the pie before baking in the oven. Steam the larger vegetables briefly before adding. Brushing the top with milk instead of cheese to reduce the saturated fat content.
Using oily fish such as mackerel or salmon makes this dish a good source of omega 3 this is important for heart health and brain development.